PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Pictures

BlueRanger
05-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Photos are posted from Memorial Day weekend...haven't had a chance to do all the captions yet. I spent one day hitting a few of the nearby waterfalls - Morgan Falls and Copper Falls near Mellen and Upper and Lower Potato River Falls in Gurney. For Flambeau Riverman, water temps were stuck at 58-62 all weekend depending on location and sunshine. Bass fishing was very slow, the high pressure really threw them off and I found very few fish along the shorelines. That should pick up quickly if the water warms a few degrees, but with the current weather it's hard to say how soon that will happen.

Trav
05-31-2013, 09:21 AM
The shot with the loon pulling it's head out of the water. That's the best of the bunch, nice silhouette. Morgan Falls looks like a pretty neat place, Copper falls too. That's a full day trip to see them from Mercer though. Will have to make that one of these times.

BlueRanger
05-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks, Trav - I like that one too. I have a surprisingly large number of those "loon shaking itself dry" photos.

It's definitely a worthwhile day trip. I would definitely recommend checking it out in fall - the colors are usually great in that area, and there are some nice vistas at all those spots if you're willing to hike a little and climb some stairs. Okay, LOTS of stairs. All the nice spots are fairly close to each other, so you can pack a lot into a day. If you leave in the morning, you should be able to get to Upson Falls, Potato River Falls, Copper Falls including the tower, Morgan Falls/St. Peter's Dome and you could probably squeeze in quick stops at Saxon Harbor, Superior Falls and Saxon Falls and still get to Hurley in time for a late dinner...