View Full Version : Musky Fishing Report

Andy Huffmaster
05-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Late ice out and cool water temps made this years first few days of Muskie fishing different than most years, but fish have still been catchable. With new weed growth difficult to find, water temperature has been very important in finding fish. A couple of degrees warmer water from the rest of a lake has made a big difference. We've been having action in areas of 4' and less and also getting some fish over open water running lures only a few feet below the surface. 6" twitch baits and jerk baits have both been working well. I am expecting this same pattern to be effective for the next week or two until the weed growth progresses further. No big fish sightings for me yet but some warmer temps should help bring up the water temperatures and help get the bigger fish moving, still fun to have action from fish in the 30's. Good Luck!!

Don Pemble
05-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Go get them Andy, catch and release them, just not where I catch all my walleye.

BretRobert1
05-30-2013, 11:21 AM
I was on the Flowage this past weekend. I fish all species, but primarily focus on muskies. We got a small 30" fish and I lost a lower 40" fish as well.

Like Andy stated, focusing on shallow bays with warmer H20 was key for us. Both strikes we had were in 4-6 FOW. In early spring I usually downsize baits for musky. We got the lil guy on a 6" Rapala, and I had the other ski on a double bladed tinsel tail made by buddy, Johnny Dadson of Dadson Blade Baits. I was also throwing a lot of twitch baits and didn't raise anything.

BlackDuck
05-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Go get them Andy, catch and release them, just not where I catch all my walleye.

Don:

Could you please post a list of the locations you catch your walleye, just want to make sure I don't let any skis go in the area
Maybe the perch and crappie spots also.

Don't want to mess that up for those folks ;) :) :D

Don Pemble
05-30-2013, 03:12 PM
U bet, I'll get right on that one. HA

Hot Runr Guy
05-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Don:

Could you please post a list of the locations you catch your walleye, just want to make sure I don't let any skis go in the area
Maybe the perch and crappie spots also.

Don't want to mess that up for those folks ;) :) :D

After fishing with Don for the last 10 years or so, I can narrow it down to the area I've circled below. :)

HRG

Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC
05-30-2013, 10:50 PM
You missed a lot of great sites from Lake Bastine and up the Turtle River to Lake of the Falls!

Don Pemble
05-31-2013, 05:53 AM
I leave Lake Bastine to the jet boats, and no need to fish up river toward the falls, way too crowded for me.