PDA

View Full Version : Fishing report for 5-04-2013

walleyemaxx
05-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Hi everyone,

I didn't miss the opener! The Big Chip is still at least 70% covered by ice, but I found a spot to fish from shore. I fished under the "CC" bridge with some other people who gave up on fighting the ice. I used artificial minnws on jigs and had some hits that were real soft. The fish weren't aggressive at all. The rest of the psople were using minnows and all were getting hits, but saw only one fish caught in the 2 hours that I was there. A guy on the other side of the bridge caught a walleye about 20"+ and after holding it up for us to see, released it back into the water.

Even though the fish were not cooperating much, it was still nice to wet a line and B.S. with the people crowding into the area under the bridge. There was open water to the west past the first bog but ice as far as you can see after that. On the east side of the bridge the ice starts fairly close and goes as far as you can see that way. I talked to two guys who had put thier boat in at Hay Creek and they told me they got as far as Dunn Rovin, then ice. "CC" North and "CC" South boat landings were packed in ice.

Deerfoot Lodges tournament is going well. They had 16 walleyes registered between 16" to 251/2". A very good day in any condition, but a heroric fete under these conditions. The west fork is open down to and including Moores bay and that's where the tournament is basically being held. I heard tale of brave guys in a boat breaking ice to fish undiscovered water. Be carefull!!! I'm sure the anti-freeze was flowing liberaly at the lodge afterwards. They have two more days of their tournament left so it will be interesting to keep tabs on how it's going.

We have warmer temps forecasted to start today and get better every day so I expect the ice to go away soon. How soon? Hopefully in 3-4 days. The water level is up so with all the snow that has to melt yet we are looking at possible flooding conditions. If it ain't one thing, it's another. good luck fishing everyone.

Walleyemaxx