PDA

View Full Version : Happy March!

byronbears84
03-03-2013, 03:22 AM
Hello fellow flambeauers!

Im just doing a little early preparation for my TFF trip in May! Last year my group and I came down in June, but this year we will be in town from May 20-27. I have heard that it will be a little cool, with a lot of rain and wind. Not sure how much I like that, but as long as we catch a few fish all is well! Anyways, I have two quick questions that maybe you more experienced fellas could help me out with.

First off, with the dates that we are coming down, would you recommend getting minnows or worms? Or maybe both? Not sure how well we would be able to keep the minnows alive, but it might be worth a try.

Also, we are looking to camp down south towards Rat Lake, hoping that there wont be anyone else around. If you look closely on bing maps (http://www.bing.com/maps/#JnE9LnR1cnRsZSUyYmZsYW1iZWF1JTJiZmxvd2FnZSU3ZXNzd C4wJTdlcGcuMSZiYj01Ny4zMjA1MDMwODI0ODUlN2UtNTAuNzc 3ODYyNTQ4JTdlMjYuOTcwODk0NTE4OTc4OSU3ZS0xMzIuNTE2M TQzNzk4 ) you will see that there is a street labeled NF 128 that branches off a few times way down south and has a road run right up to the water. Is this a private residence (cant see any buildings in the birds view) or do you think its a landing? With my small boat, and a lot of gear, it is very difficult to move from point A to point B with a lot of wind and a lot of different things to hit just under the waters surface. Just curious to see if anyone has checked these roads out at any time? It'd be great if there was a hidden landing down there!

Thank you all,
Travis

Don Pemble
03-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Travis,

Don't take the extended weather forcast too seriously, many years have seen beautiful weather that time of year. If I was you, I would bring both minnows and crawlers along, never know what will work the best from day to day, a lot depends on the water temps. The road you are talking about I would have to guess is the dike that runs from the dam all the way into Rat Lake, that is where you will find the private landing.

Good luck,

Don's Guide Service

Mark Benson
03-04-2013, 01:19 PM
byron:

First of all as a practical matter, remember when you go north it is referred to as up, not down... Second, regarding the weather, I would be more concerned about the wind, than any other condition. It can your ally and it can be your biggest enemy!!! Lots of rain... could have happen, could be a drought as it has been mostly the last seven years... The best thing about your timing is the fish are as available as they are possibly going to get during the year. But you still have to find them!!!

Mark

byronbears84
03-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Well, from where I currently am TFF is up. But I meant that Rat lake is the very southern part off TFF, so thats why i used down. Anyways, thank you for the help, both Don and Mark.

Mark Benson
03-05-2013, 09:20 AM
ahhh, I understand, then byron...

Mark

Tom502
03-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Travis,

Below is the answer to a similar "Rat Lake Landing" question from fall. Tight Lines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings to All,

Several years back the TFF Property Owners Association (working with WI-DNR) built cribs down in Rat Lake and we had to get special permission to stage the crib logs near that landing. From what I remember, the unimproved landing is on public land, but to get to that area we had to take USFS Road 153 (off Hwy 182) to another USFS road, then down some private roads and through a locked gate or two.

That landing is not open for public use and it is difficult to get to. The closest public landing to the Rat Lake area is Sportsman's, there is nothing closer to the "big water" area of the TFF.

As for the construction down that way, Xcel Energy is making improvements in the earthen dike to comply with potential high water levels from a 500 or 1000 year rain/flood event. That work started this past summer, and will continue next summer on dike improvements that are nearer to the TFF Dam and to the Sportsman's Landing area.

If anyone has specific questions, your best bet is to call the TFF Property Mgr, Chris Paulik, at the Mercer DNR office. Her # is: (715) 476-7846.

Tight Lines,

Tom502

byronbears84
03-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Tom,

Thank you for clearing that one up for me!

Travis