PDA

View Full Version : WV Musky Info.

ttabaleulb
01-02-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm thinking of planning a trip to fish some waters in WV this year. Have any of you guys hit up any of the waters down there? Also, do you know of any guides that might cover some of the smaller rivers around there? I did a quick search and didn't come up with much yet. Thanks for any info/advice.

Jay

lowbidder
01-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Jay,
I have fished the Buckhannon (both C&R and Lower) and I fished Stonewall Jackson for half a day in 2011. Been meaning to get down there more, but I'm still exploring PA waters. From what I've read, the Elk is probably the best bet for a blend of size and numbers. SWJ has the big girls. The smaller rivers seem to have good numbers but nothing huge. You would be lucky to break 40" in the C&R section of the Buckhannon.

I know there is one guide that live right along the banks of the West Fork in Jane Lew, WV. No idea if he is any good or not. https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Husky-Musky-Shop-Guide-Service/143886409010885

There is at least one guy that guides on SWJ but can't remember his name. I know some guys that belong to the WV chapter of MI. Lemme see if I can dig up some reputable names for you. How far south do you want to go??

ttabaleulb
01-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Awesome, thanks a ton for the info!! I'm really interested in the Buckhannon, but your mention of Elk sounds like my kind of place too. I'm figuring on just doing a couple day trip at this point to check out some of the waters before draggin a boat down there. Thanks again.

Jay

lowbidder
01-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Awesome, thanks a ton for the info!! I'm really interested in the Buckhannon, but your mention of Elk sounds like my kind of place too. I'm figuring on just doing a couple day trip at this point to check out some of the waters before draggin a boat down there. Thanks again.

Jay

Nobody I talked to had any experience with guides down that way. The problem you're going to find down that way is boat access. Public access is all but unheard of on the small rivers. Most of those guys fish from stripped down jon boats or Coleman Crawdads that they can drag up and down the riverbanks.

The Buckhannon has the most public access that I can think of. There is one nice paved launch in the town of Buckhannon right above the low head dam that forms the C&R section. There are two more paved launches below that dam. Further down towards the Tygart there are no public launches and most of the land is private. That's where my place is. I've been there a year and a half and got into so many renovation projects, I've only fished the lower Buck for one half day.

Good Luck.

iclund
01-08-2013, 01:40 PM
I've never fished it, but the New River, which is further south than the others mentioned, is worth exploring as well. I think it's better suited for 'river boats' but there may be larger pools too. The scenery is awesome and you may have a better chance of a larger fish there than the others but it is further drive. I don't know if anyone guides down there but I know an old friend fishes it. It's worth considering.

George

Red Childress
01-08-2013, 01:46 PM
I have fished the New before (I grew up pretty close to the New River section that runs thru Virginia) and there is a guide from my hometown who guides on it. Greg Rife is his name and I have fished with him before.