PDA

View Full Version : T.F.F. Update

Don Pemble
12-20-2012, 03:36 PM
With increasing ice thickness, I've been able to venture further out with my 4 wheeler and fish some of my favorite spots with very good results. The past two evenings I took my limits of eyes out of 3 to 5 foot depths in and around rocks and stumpy areas. The magic time both evenings was just before dark and lasting up to an hour. Both walleye suckers and golden shiners worked equally well. Ice thickness seemed to average around 6 inches everywhere I drilled holes. I haven't tried any big water areas so caution should be used if traveling out there.

sureshot612
12-22-2012, 07:39 PM
With increasing ice thickness, I've been able to venture further out with my 4 wheeler and fish some of my favorite spots with very good results. The past two evenings I took my limits of eyes out of 3 to 5 foot depths in and around rocks and stumpy areas. The magic time both evenings was just before dark and lasting up to an hour. Both walleye suckers and golden shiners worked equally well. Ice thickness seemed to average around 6 inches everywhere I drilled holes. I haven't tried any big water areas so caution should be used if traveling out there.

Don good to hear a report .we like to keep up with all things going on ,on the flowage. we keep an eye on the web cams i just think it would be cool if they had one showing the water when you guys are fishing . we will be up there sometime between late jan or late feb , what is your opinion do you like early ice or late ice , thanks ss612

Don Pemble
12-23-2012, 07:03 AM
Although I like early ice the best, there are spots I'm not able to get to or just not willing to try this early. Being that I don't use a shanty, I will say that sitting in my truck on a foot of ice beats sitting on a 5 gallon bucket with freezing temps and the wind blowing. Late ice can be very rewarding because that is the time of year when I spend my time working not only the flowage but area lakes for bluegills and crappies.

rockshelf
12-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Don,
Have you ever heard of anybody or you yourself ice fishing mid-lake humps? Picked up a few humps this past summer and have the waypoints saved on my handheld gps. I'm rarely up at the flowage so I dont really have the time to "experiment" with too many spots. I hate asking a question like this, but with the limited time I am up at the TFF I would very much apprieciate if I knew if I would be wasting my time on the humps or not.
Thanks for your help!

Don Pemble
12-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Most of the humps that I've ice fished thru the years have produced mostly smallmouth bass, so for that reason I usually set up along shorelines with rocks or stumps close by.

Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC
12-30-2012, 01:54 AM
Ice thickness now varies from 5"-9" with anglers now getting to all areas of the TFF, including the Big Water area; however, caution is always advised.

The walleye bite had been good, but has tapered off the past 3 days. Fish were being caught the first hour after sunrise and again starting at 3:30 pm until after dark on tip-ups with shiners in 3-6 fow near wood and rocks. Some daytime walleyes have been taken in about 10 fow. There are reports of some nice jumbo perch being taken jigging with minnows.

The Mercer School Senior Class will be hosting an Ice Fishing Tournament from 8am-6pm on Saturday, Jan. 12th based out of Fishermans Landing. There will be food and raffles, along with prizes for the 3 largest walleye, northern, perch and crappie in both adult and kid divisions. Tickets are available on site and at Mercer area businesses or contact Tanner Hiller at 715.776.0190.

Also remember to mark your calendars for the Justin Donner Memorial Fisheree on Jan. 26th and the TFFA Ice Fishing Jamboree on Feb. 23rd with both based out of Donners Bay Resort. Tickets for both are at Mercer and Park Falls area businesses or contact Donners Bay Resort at 715.476.2555.

Click www.turtleflambeauflowage.com for info on the area or to order a free map.

Have a Happy and Prosperous New Year Everyone.

George G
12-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Ice thickness now varies from 5"-9" with anglers now getting to all areas of the TFF, including the Big Water area; however, caution is always advised.

The walleye bite had been good, but has tapered off the past 3 days. Fish were being caught the first hour after sunrise and again starting at 3:30 pm until after dark on tip-ups with shiners in 3-6 fow near wood and rocks. Some daytime walleyes have been taken in about 10 fow. There are reports of some nice jumbo perch being taken jigging with minnows.

The Mercer School Senior Class will be hosting an Ice Fishing Tournament from 8am-6pm on Saturday, Jan. 12th based out of Fishermans Landing. There will be food and raffles, along with prizes for the 3 largest walleye, northern, perch and crappie in both adult and kid divisions. Tickets are available on site and at Mercer area businesses or contact Tanner Hiller at 715.776.0190.

Also remember to mark your calendars for the Justin Donner Memorial Fisheree on Jan. 26th and the TFFA Ice Fishing Jamboree on Feb. 23rd with both based out of Donners Bay Resort. Tickets for both are at Mercer and Park Falls area businesses or contact Donners Bay Resort at 715.476.2555.

Click www.turtleflambeauflowage.com for info on the area or to order a free map.

Have a Happy and Prosperous New Year Everyone.

Scott are there raffles at this event and can be purchase tickets by mail . No need to be present to win. Thanks

Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC
01-01-2013, 06:49 PM
You will have to contact Tanner about the High School event. You can contact Donners Bay on the other 2.

beelzebob
01-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Most of the humps that I've ice fished thru the years have produced mostly smallmouth bass, so for that reason I usually set up along shorelines with rocks or stumps close by.

I fished humps out on the big water last winter - all smallies, actually got some big ones. Fun, but frustrating when you are looking for 'eyes, perch, or northern.