View Full Version : MayFly Hatches

sjguzin
11-06-2012, 07:40 AM
I know it changes from year to year, but does anyone have an approximate time as to when the Mayflies usually start up enough to damper the fishing? Every year we plan a trip for the early part of June, and I'd have to say that's always the worst time! We were toying with Memorial Day weekend. I know earlier is even safer, but trying to hammer down a date that will work best for the whole group and Memorial Day might be it.

Thanks,
Sean

Mark Benson
11-06-2012, 10:41 AM
sjguzin:

You can never tell. There are several species of mayflies to contend with as well as several midge hatches... The mayfly that hatches that concerns everyone is usually the hex hatch and in general the Memorial Day weekend would be safe IMHO.

Mark

sjguzin
11-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Thank you Mark. Mid-May or end of June it will be for us!

byronbears84
11-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I had a similar problem last year. I had never been up to TFF and i was really worried about the mayfly hatch. Well, we ended up going june 11-17th, and the mayflies hit us head on. :( There were a few separate hatches that week, but the day of and after the biggest hatch of the year we caught a single rock bass. Because of that experience we have decided on May 21-27, hoping we still hit the hot walleye but just miss the hatch!