PDA

View Full Version : Oct 17th report

Rob Manthei
10-17-2012, 05:14 AM
Water temps continue to drop, shaping up for a great rest of the fall. Water temps are low forties on the shallow pin ponds to close to 50 on the large deep lakes. The lakes will take another drop after Thursday's predicted cold front.

MUSKIES: Activity has been very good. During last week's cool down, they seemed to more on the prowl for suckers than lures. Time of day really didn't matter. My boat was getting 3-4 fish a day on suckers. There was some activity on Bulldawgs, DD and DDD's, and Grandmas. Tony Enger got a super chunky 48.5 on a Pounder Bulldawg last Friday during the Capitol City Outing held at Fibber's over the weekend.

I've been finding some fish along weed edges(more so on lakes that are 90 % weed structured), but mostly fishing the deeper basined lakes and concentrating on hard bottom to mud transitions and mid lake structures.

The days that the winds are west or northwest, the muskies like....these slight warm ups(like yesterday) aren't as good. Keep in mind, if nothing happens all day for you, the last hour of the day can sometimes be magical.

WALLEYES: Really haven't fished these guys for 2 weeks or better....did catch a couple dandies on Depthraiders and Grandmas while musky fishing. These fish were weed edge related. However, lakes that have a small hole or holes, will have walleyes start to stock pile in these areas. A couple lakes in the area come to mind. Otherwise look for deep sand and gravel or just plain mud flats. Redtails, redtails, redtails....I won't target walleyes until ice season, so this is the best I can give for now.

DEER: Actually got to sit in the stand one afternoon this week....saw a couple small bucks(passed), and actually watched a spiker make scrapes and do a little chasing around of does...maybe this is the makings for an early rut

GOOD LUCK!