PDA

View Full Version : Heading to St. Clair

KENNYW
09-17-2012, 10:23 AM
I know a few of you guys have been to St. Clair, and Im hoping for some help. If the principals help me out here at school, looks like I will be there for a week at the end of October. I can only access the Michigan side, due to not having a passport. Ill be in my 18' Lowe jet boat, and yes I know, be careful. I guess my main question is, where will the fish be in late october? Rivers or lake, where would you fish? This will all determine where i plan to stay. From what I gather, bulldawgs, and bondy baits are good in the fall? Thanks in advance! Ken

toothyfishman
09-17-2012, 07:30 PM
I have only fished last week in june/first few days of july. Fished the Canada water and only trolled.
We did fish the river this years trip since the lake was messed up. I liked it, with the boat you are going in the river might be your best bet. We jigged for awhile and then went to trolling, all our fish were caught trolling in the river. The area between the lake and say the center of detroit/windsor was a nice area. The area where the cities are would be very dangerous in your boat since there is like steel walls on both sides. The waves bounce back and forth between them like your in a bathtub. There again we only fished the canada side because that was the lic. we bought. Not much help but don't rule out the river and don't think you have to jig a bondy bait because that is what they do out there. We did awesome trolling down there.

Red Childress
09-19-2012, 11:27 AM
There should be some good fishing in the lake (US side) during the Fall. As a matter of fact, we are moving our trip to Columbus Day weekend next year hoping to access larger fish (casting only) moving North out of the river.

KENNYW
09-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Well, I booked the first half of the week at Anglers Point bait shop, so Ill be fishing anchor bay and the north, middle, and south channel. If that doesnt provide too much action, Im going to head to the detroit area and fish the river. Im assuming the lake will hit that mid 40's magic temp by late october..........its getting chilly early.

Red Childress
09-24-2012, 11:42 AM
You will love Angler's Point Marina. We are going to stay in her (the owner's) apartment by the water next year. You will dock your boat, walk 20 steps and be inside your apartment........perfect.

Red Childress
10-31-2012, 11:01 AM
I am anxious to hear how this trip went.

KENNYW
10-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Had a good trip. Weather was WARM! Some 80 degree days. Biggest fish was mid 40's, and I got my biggest pike to date, and my wife got her first musky. That lake is AWESOME! I'm going to try and do 3-4 weeks there next summer when schools over. I have pics on my computer at school. I'll try and post a few tomorrow. Seen 50's everyday, but no hookups on the big girls. Would it be worth going over my t-giving break?

Red Childress
10-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Only if you don't mind catching heavier fish. :)

KENNYW
11-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Well, that would be nice! Since Im not rich, and it cost me almost $1000 in fuel for the last trip, I might just explore the north branch of the susky or more of the allegheny. Ill try and put more pics on later, but this was my largest, and my wifes first.