PDA

View Full Version : Musky or a weed ???

The Frog caster
08-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Hello all, Last Saturday I woke up (here in Mercer) and pushed my rig off the pier to drift with the movement of the fog. I attached a Northland reed runner spinner bait to a small leader and casted for a few bass before I got to my Musky honey hole. I wasn't 50ft. from our pier and after the 6th cast and two drags on my Swisher sweet cigar I landed a 40in. Musky. Mind you, i did it without a cabled or wire leader !!! I wasn't looking (a big no-no) toward the end of my retrieve and thought I snagged a weed. To my surprize this large set of teeth was clamped on my $4.95 spinner bait. That Musky was quite lethagic and really didn't put up much of a fight. I'm guessing these warm temps recently have made the larger fish sluggish. I proceded to snip off the hook with my large side cutters and return him to the water in less than 30 seconds. The fish started to roll and I spent 10 minutes with him before I was satisfied he could operate on his own. Suddenly a big "boil" and he was gone. The point here is never give up on a cast good or bad, as you may be a split second away from a golden opportunity. Larry (frog caster)

George
08-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Surprises are what keep life interesting. :o