PDA

View Full Version : Late Season Escanaba Salmon

CRAHO
08-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Just a question -- I've been thinking about a few last trips out for Salmon before I switch over 100% to walleye.. Is anyone fishing between Esky and Ford River can still? I'm fairly new to the sport & am still learning.

The Bait Shop Guy
08-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Water temps have cooled down, but the reports have been few and far in between, (few people fishing them right now.) Buddy of mine found good water temps, (low 50's,) 60 feet down off Portage Point. He marked bait and fish, but had no releases in 4 hours of fishing. Talked to a another guy this morning that was off the Ford River can. He caught one 75 down over 120 FOW.

Good luck if you go. Let us know if you do any good.

DooFighter
08-22-2012, 09:16 PM
You should be able to catch them in that area, especially if water temps are favorable and you find baitfish. I told myself that for years. However experience has taught me the odds of a good catch in that area are quite low this time of year. Your options at this time of year are 1. go much farther south from the FRC, you may find immature fish (2 year olds mainly) in the 4-10# range and an occasional mature fish. If you find the little guys, they get quite agressive this time of year, can be a good bite. Water temp is still to be considered, but don't be married to it, the smaller fish are more tolerant of warmer water. Or 2. go to Fairport or Manistique. Fpt is good right now, fishing the usual spots off summer/poverty 80-140fow, varies by day. Lots of fish there now that have vacated the bay on way to staging for spawning as well as the immature fish that are on bait packing on the pounds to be next year's big fish. Manistique hit or miss lately from what I've heard, should get better in the next 1-3 weeks with staging fish closer to the river mouth. Some will still be silver or nearly silver.

Good luck, let us know how you do if you get out.

My last trip was Fairport Monday, boated 13 in the morning. Good bite early then really died. LOng coppers with spoons and divers with meat were best, couple on riggers/spoon.

DooFighter
08-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Update : ran out yesterday at first light with my son. We only made it a milea S of the FRC due to rain threatening. We setup, I lost a cannonball, marked lots of hooks 70-80 down over 90-110fow. Fished 5 lines for 1/2 hr without a hit, while I rerigged the stbd rigger. Then rain started and I forgot the boy's rainsuit so we headed in. Never did get my probe in the water. I've seen that setup before down there this time of year. You mark the fish and can't get bit. I don't think they are salmon. I suppose a guy could put in a full day to find out. If they just happen to be off the bite, wait em out. Hard for me to believe suspended salmon won't hit my stud lures at 1 hour after sunrise. Haven't had any shortage of volunteers earlier this year and as recent as last week. I woukd love to have a camera to know for sure.