View Full Version : What Not To Do

Musky Mauler
07-12-2012, 12:37 PM
I do remember a time way back when (1960's) that I had a CB ("Citizen's Band") radio that I took out out of the car and into the boat. I forget why. Wally Wagner (Al Weseman's brother-in-law) and I had some guy along who insisted that he wanted to go fishing with "two of the best fishermen on the Flowage." Either Al Weseman up at Al's Place Bar, or Earl Tomek at Tomek's Old Log Inn had given him that idea - - undoubtedly in a joking manner. Anyway, I did have that CB radio with me for some reason. We were only on the other side of the Flowage from Al's Place when this guy picked up the radio; turned it on; and for some dumb reason said, "Mayday! Mayda! Mayday!" He thought it was some sort of joke.

I rebuked him, of course. But, he only laughed in response.

Then, about two minutes later, just by chance, a Cessna flew by low overhead. That was a rare sight back then.

I said, "See? The Coast Guard is out looking for the emergency already. Now you're in trouble!"

The guy actually took it to heart and got very nervous. He wanted to go back in right away. We dropped him off on the beach at Al's Place and that ended his experience with "two of the best fishermen on the Flowage."

Boy, wouldn't it be great if the Coast Guard really could respond that quickly?