PDA

View Full Version : July 12th report

Rob Manthei
07-12-2012, 06:20 AM
The heat and calm,flat conditions continue.....sooner or later a nice cold front would be appreciated.

anyway...water temps are 78 to 83 depending on the day and amount/or lack of wind

Walleyes: Fishing actually remains pretty good during the heat and high water temps...I've been catching fish from the deepest lakes in the area. I have been concentrating on the deepest weed edges, deep sand bars, and gravel humps that top off at 20 to 30'. Leeches and night crawlers are the best best right now. Use the lightest jig or Lindy rig combo that you can get away with. Clean rigging and light line are the smartest approach during these conditions. Don't attach your jig or hook via a snap swivel and expect to catch walleyes out of clear water. If at all possible fish from 5 am to 8 am and then again from 7 pm til or after dark. I have seen a daytime bite when we have had some wind.

Muskies: NOTE! During these high water temps please use extreme care when fishing for these guys....water temps at or above 80 make life very stressful for muskies...keep the time out of water(or don't even bring them out) to less than 5 seconds...keep the fish in the net to take hooks out. I've seen some very careless releases or attempts by anglers who consider themselves musky gurus and ended up killing the fish over a couple of photos.....we've boated 3 muskies this week and never held any up for photos...I would rather catch them another day than kill 'em overhandling the fish.

Open water(suspended fish) had produced one of the fish and also lost a very good one doing this. Casting Mag Bulldawgs, DDD's, Depthraiders are the best approach here. Fish saddles, over humps, around schools of bait and cover water....here is where you would like to see who can cast the farthest...

Deep green weeds, deep points, and breaklines are also holding fish. DD's, Cowgirls, and Suicks have also produced action for me. Again, try to fish early and late, or even after dark. The water is the coolest right now at these times, and is more likely to keep the fish active and also make for stronger releases. Mid day action is almost non-existant, and also during the flat days, almost impossible to fish comfortably. AGIAN, keep any fish caught in the water, they aren't astronauts, the need to breath in the water. IF you need to take a photo, have everything ready, take the fish out quickly, and put it back in the water....DON'T lay a muskie in the bottom of the boat or on carpet to measure them either....

Good luck and be safe!

deantre
07-21-2012, 10:33 AM
great report and great tips Rob, sure appreciate your concern for the muskies, especially the comment about placing them on the bottom of a boat in this weather, it's like putting them in a fry pan, they may swim off but the damage done will kill them in weeks. Dean