View Full Version : report 7/2

Steve Herbeck
07-02-2012, 03:46 PM
with temps avg 80-and 90's last 3-4 days as in the rest of the midwest and canada water surface temps have risen in to the mid 70's.
walleyes are using a variety of habitat from humps and reefs from 10' to 30',suspended 26-34' daytime rising into upper 10-15' evening,and heavy cabbage beds.
avg reef bite is 18-24' but catching fish down to 30' and on some humps they are moving up onto the tops especially on windier days. when they are up on top they are very aggressive usually bigger fish and will even take bigger cranks cranked over the rocks.
the humps can be jigged but rigs are far outproducing when fishing that 14-30 depths. in the cabbage bait rigs slow pokes and weedless jigs are the tools.
suspended fish are best longline trolled with cranks. for the most part the walleyes are avg more eater fish and slot fish last week than the week before though some nice 25-28" whee boated. there are some nice pike with the walleyes on some humps,biggest last week was 43" and 23#.
only 1 group fished muskies exclusivly, the zettermans had a 50" and a 47" and lost another 50"+ fish and had numerous expereinces with big fish through the week. chris weiss got a 51" and a 40,dan 49",chrissy 44".
already this week with the rising water temps big fish are starting to move good and predictably in #'s and we expect some big fish to be boated. i fished 3 hrs yesterday am before having to leave for i-falls for an airport drop off and in 3 spots and we raised 7 fish 3 over 50,lost a good one,boated a 44",just talked with 2 guides when i got back on cell phone and both said that they had boated fish and raised over 20 fish by noon today,i'll get the patriculars when they get back in.mostly blades,jerkbaits, and topwaters. the hotter and sunnier it is the better the weed pattern will be for awhile.
had 2 groups do 4wds for bass and it was excellent lots of 16-19" fish mostly on leeches.
with water temps rising we are going to discourage trout fishing as mortality on big fish will high.