PDA

View Full Version : June 30th Report

Rob Manthei
06-30-2012, 06:26 AM
Well it looks like we got the hot weather back for awhile. One week it pours like crazy, the next is sun and heat.

Walleyes: Nothing much has changed since the last report. Walleye action remains ok, with some days better than others. I fished walleyes 5 straight this past week, covering all kinds of water. Found walleyes on flats, sandgrass, cabbage, and coontail. Depths ranged from 8' to 26'. This shows that they are using a variety of structures and fish populations are spread out. Caught fish on fatheads, crawlers, and leeches. It definitely pays to be out early and and late in the day. Some daytime action was happening, but only on the days that the wind was helpful. Fish with the cleanest setup that you can. I mean 6lb test, lightest jigs that you can get away with, and no snaps or swivels attached to your jig. Fish can see in clear water...simple is best.

Crappies: Spent a little time with these guys on and off....Frizzies and Mini-mites still outfish anything...caught them on weed edges in 8 to 10' and also hanging in the openings of deeper cabbage in 7 to 10'. Probably won't fish them again until fall.

Muskies: They were a tough fish to find over the past week. It doesn't make sense, with the warmer temps and weather, these guys should have been going nuts. The fish that were boated though, came from open water suspended down in the water column anywhere from 7 to 15'. Muskies are using the weed edges on a lot of lakes, so parallel casting, along with right thru the weeds must be done in order to locate fish. Cowgirls, Suicks, Bulldawgs, and topwaters in the evenings have been getting fish to move...I will be spending more time with muskies this week....and with the full moon next week, night fishing should be really good.

Good Luck! I will post some photos soon