PDA

View Full Version : Shallow water fishing in July

ringo
06-29-2012, 12:44 PM
I will be taking the family to the UP in July, we are staying near the mouth of the Ford. Can anyone recommend any tips for me? I'll have a canoe that I can take out on the Lake or into the Ford. Not fishing for anything in particular, I just want to catch some fish. It sounds like the Walleye will be too far out, and the Salmon won't be in yet, how about the Perch?

The Bait Shop Guy
06-30-2012, 09:35 AM
If the wind co-operates, you could paddle out to the first drop-off. That will put you in about 8 FOW. It's all sand out there, but there are also scattered boulders and weed patches, where you can find some pretty nice smallmouth and pike. More than likely, the wind will be blowing, and that won't be a good option from a canoe. You can fish the river itself, but with the warmer water this time of year, you'll mostly run into undersized smallmouth and rockbass. Typically bass gear like tube jigs, stick worms, spinnerbaits, and shallow running crankbaits will all work. Crawlers fished on the bottom or under a bobber catch a lot of fish, too.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.

ringo
07-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll update the post when I get back. I'm hoping to get something, anything.