PDA

View Full Version : Snake falling from the sky !

raywriter
06-24-2012, 04:32 PM
I was driving along CR 426 about 5 pm recently, near Ledvina's strawberry farm above the mill. I saw some movement off to my right, and quickly identified it as a hawk flying low toward the road. Hanging from its talons was a pine snake (which is actually a Fox Snake) between three and four feet long. The wind was very strong and gusty. The hawk was flying fast and as it approached the side of the road, the snake's body hit the overhead power lines. The reptile was pulled from the hawk's talons, and the bird dipped suddenly, but quickly recovered and continued flying away without the tasty meal it had just caught. The snake came twirling downward through the air and crashed onto the road just in front of my truck! I ran over it and continued on. What a rare sight! What if I had been riding a motorcycle?

The Bait Shop Guy
06-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Man, I don't think that snakes day could have gotten any worse than that, LOL!

One day many years ago, my dad and I were running up to Boney to do a little trout fishing. We came around one of the bends in the road and had to swerve to miss a huge snake coiled up in the middle of the lane. We pulled over to get it off the road so it wouldn't get run over, and let's face it, who could pass up the chance to poke at a big snake with a stick? Gotta say that was the biggest, meanest snake I've ever seen! We didn't know that they will vibrate the tip of their tail on the ground, sounding kind of like a rattler. Freaked us out a little, at first. After a couple minutes of poking, prodding, and dodging snake strikes, we got it off the road.

Always like going up there. You never know what kind of critters you're going to see. The trout fishing is usually pretty good, too.