PDA

View Full Version : June 13th report

Rob Manthei
06-13-2012, 06:30 AM
As keeping up with my every 2 weeks reports, here it is. Sorry for the delay, but my schedule would bury most people.

Walleyes: Mayflies have pretty much finished up on most lakes. Actually did see some hatching last night during my second guide date of the day. Really didn't affect the bite. I've been finding fish along weed edges in 8 to 15' of water. Leeches with the lightest jig that you can get away with is the best approach. Move around the weed edge(wind blow if possible) and after fish are located, throw a bouy and anchor up. Mix in some slip bobbers rigged with leeches too.

Yesterday we found some really active fish, and also got some to eat Berkley Gulp! tails that looked like leeches. We boated around 40 to 45 fish in 6 hours, with our limit of 15" for the deep fryer. The bite will continue to pick up as the mayflies go away and fish get hungry again. Water temps are 67 to 71, but they'll drop a little with this massive cold front that moved in.

Muskies: These guys have been pretty active. Open water suspended fish, rock fish, weed fish....take your pick, pick your lake. We just finished up with the Musky Hunter School, and had a great time. Muskies up to 47" were boat from 3' of water to over 50' of water. Bulldawgs, Cowgirls, DD's, Kickin' Minnows, Suicks, (you get the picture) caught fish. With a variety of lakes and water types being attacked, I would say that the patterns really didn't matter, muskies were active. Look for a good weekend coming up with the chance of T-storms and south winds again.

Weed edges, baitfish schools in open water, and shallow rock bars have produced fish for me over the last couple of outings...quality fish, 37 to 41 inchers, with a couple lost, however we did lose about a 48" yesterday in a figure 8 gone bad.

Bass: haven't fished these guys on purpose....however if you are looking for them, go fish walleyes on Big Arb and you'll catch plenty of LMB's instead....

Panfish: Spawn is winding down, and crappies are starting to suspend outside the weed edges....again, my focus has been on walleyes and muskies....

Good Luck to all !