PDA

View Full Version : May 30TH REPORT

Rob Manthei
05-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Sorry for the delay...

As May comes to an end, hopefully the strong winds do to..sick of wind every day. Water temps are in the mid 60's on most lakes, low 60's on the largest lakes. Weedbeds are developing nicely.

Walleyes: The bite has been pretty consistent. Most fish are coming on livebait, however some days plastics are working on aggressive fish. Berkley Hollow Belly's and Gulp! Minnows are the best plastic for me. Redtails, Tuffys, and on some days leeches. The minnow bite will start slowing down on most lakes and switch to leeches and crawlers soon. However, days like today(36 degrees) walleyes will always prefer minnows on these cold front days. I've been finding walleyes in weeds(cabbage and coontail) and deep wood. Look for the wind blown areas to be the best. I am starting to see some mayflies, so avoid these lakes when the hatch really kicks in.

SMB and LMB: Spawn is pretty much over for the SMB's and winding down for the LMB's....look for weed flats and gravel edges after the spawn for these guys...

Pike: Pike are using the same weeds that walleyes are...they are hitting the same presentations....spinnerbaits, Husky Jerks, and spoons will take fish too.

Muskies: Spawn has been long over, and muskies almost seem to be in the typical patterns. Fished them last Sunday all day and we boated 3 fish. All of these guys were weed edge related and hit medium sized twitch baits. Cranes, 7" Shallow Raiders, DD's, and Suicks all moved fish. It seems that they liked the longer pauses on twitch and pull baits.

Good Luck!