PDA

View Full Version : City to kill weeds in the Escanaba harbor

The Bait Shop Guy
05-08-2012, 05:33 AM
I've had several people ask me if I knew anything about the city's plan to use a herbicide to kill the weeds in the Escanaba harbor this summer. So far, I don't know any details. When I was picking up my launch permit yesterday, I saw that there will be a Harbor Advisory Committee meeting today in city hall, from 4:30 to 5:30, in conference room #101, (right inside the main entrance.)

I will not be able to attend, but my dad is going. I would urge anyone else interested in this, to attend as well. I personally wouldn't have a major issue with this, as long as they were only killing the weeds around the boat docks. If they plan on killing off the entire harbor - that's another story! That harbor is a tremendous fishery for all kinds of fish, and all kinds of fishermen. Two of the top three released pike entered in the Michigan Master angler awards last year came out of the harbor. If the weeds are poisoned off, that will all be gone.

The Bait Shop Guy
05-09-2012, 10:32 AM
My dad made it to the meeting last night. If things turn out as they were explained to him, it won't be a bad thing. The herbicide they plan to use is supposed to target the eurasian milfoil. The hardier native species like coontail and cabbage are more hardy, and should be able to tolerate it. It's supposed to be safe for ground water and fish. They will be targeting the area around the docks and mooring area in the first phase, then the western side of the harbor in the second phase.

Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

springfield
05-15-2012, 09:45 AM
I hope they dont use the same thing as down here on Cadillac & Mitchell, Fife Lake and a few others. It killed off all the wigglers in the lakes. All the lakes had a healthy mayfly hatch before now none what so ever. Houghton lakes hatch was down a ton last year after being sprayed the year before.

Reges
05-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Does anybody know when they are planning this?

Furball
05-17-2012, 10:51 AM
I believe they are planning on doing this today, May 17th.