PDA

View Full Version : Open weekend report

Rob Manthei
05-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Looks like the weather will be a little wet out there for the opener....not gonna stop this guy...With the general opener coming this weekend, most guys will be targeting walleyes and panfish. Water temps are in the mid 50's on most lakes.

Weed growth is looking real good and water levels seem to be close to normal on the area lakes.

Walleyes: I would suggest using small 1/16 to 1/8 oz jigs(either Bait Rigs Slow Pokes or Bait Rigs Weedmasters) and work weed edges and flats. Drowned wood will also be holding fish. I wouldn't be surprised to find some walleyes hanging around some of their spawning grounds on the large, deep lakes. Only one way to find out. Tip the jigs with either a large fathead or redtail. If live bait isn't your thing, try some 4 to 5" Gulp! or Powerbait minnows on 1/4 to 3/8 oz jigs and rip jig them thru the weeds........

Pike: Most of these same locations that walleyes will be found will have pike in them too. Try cast some Husky Jerks or spinnerbaits amongst the weeds too. If you are going to target them with jigs and minnows, add a small section of 7 strand wire to your jig to avoid bite offs.

Panfish: No, no, no,no....the crappies haven't spawned yet....they need water above 60 degrees to do this. Anyway, they are hanging around mouths of spawning bays in weeds 4 to 8 feet of water. Use Mini-mites, Frizzies, and small fatheads...they have been active on artificials more than minnows...(which is very typical for me).

I will be guiding all weekend, so I will post results and pictures after Sunday!

Good Luck everyone and stop by Fibber's to talk fish....I'll be there Friday night bartending and late Saturday night

CPR
05-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the report---see ya Friday!

Mark Benson
05-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Good Luck and be Safe to all!!!

Mark