PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Bilge Pump

Jax
04-17-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm putting a automatic bilge pump into my Tuffy Esox and was wondering what everyone recommended? Saw an Attwood Sahara 500 for $45 at Walmart that has got good reviews. Looking for a quality and durable automatic bilge pump. Thanks for any input.

ChipVet
04-18-2012, 06:39 AM
Rule pump, have had one for 6 years now without a problem just screen opening to keep junk out

Ty Sennett
04-18-2012, 08:35 AM
That is a lot of money for a 500GPH pump. Maybe the automatic ones are a little more. Mayfair makes the pumps that are in the Tuffy's but Johnson makes a standard replacement pump(manual). I would get no less than a 750GPH pump for bilging. The last thing you want is to be taking on more water than you can pump out. I replaced a friend's livewell pumps and bilge pump yesterday and it was pretty easy but to put an automatic bilge in is a little more work. By the way, the bilge pump that was origionally in the boat was a 1250GPH pump.
Good luck,

Jax
04-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Chipvet/anyone :),

how do you have yours hooked up? I am basically installing it for when my boat is docked so I don't have to worry about it when it rains and have standing water when I am not their or during the nite. Mine has the float switch inside the mechanism as well. Do you have yours hooked up to a manual/automatic switch that you can turn on to automatic or is yours always on automatic and turns on when the inside float switch is triggered at all times? Also, how does this affect your battery charge? Last thing I want is to come out in the morning or late afternoon and have my battery drained. Also with the float switch inside does it only run when the water triggers the float switch or does it turn on every couple minutes (sensor) for a couple seconds? By the way, I have the Attwood Sahara auto bilge.

Ty Sennett
04-24-2012, 08:15 AM
The automatic bilge will drain your battery if you leave your boat for a long period of time and it rains a lot but it is not on a timer like a livewell pump. The float triggers the bilge to kick on only when enough rain fills the bottom of your boat. As soon as the level of your boat goes below the float at rest it will turn off.

If you don't have your boat plugged into a charger and you get two to three inches of water or more overnight then you might have a dead battery in the morning but more than likely the battery will just be low but not totally drained.

If your battery is plugged into the charger while getting the same amount of rain overnight you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Your battery will be at almost full charge come morning.

For rigging, take out the old bilge and put the new one right in the same place(center of transom). You might have to cut the length of the bilge tube down to fit in a Tuffy but that's easy for anyone to do. A hack saw a a little common sense gets it done. If the bilge moves around a lot and you want to stabalize it, use Shoe Goo. It works just as good as the expensive marine glues if not better. Just make sure not to get it into the mechanism itself.

ChipVet
04-25-2012, 08:58 AM
I just put mine in the transom well, hooked it up which was easy to do. I have an on/off switch and turn the switch on at the end the day and when it rains the float kicks the pump in and removes water, result dry boat in the morning. I have never had any trouble with the battery draining down; I have it hooked to the motor battery and and I am sure the alternater helps keep the charge. I turn my switch off during the day unless raining but be sure to turn it on when done for the day. The most rain I saw was 3 inches one night and boat was dry and motor started fine. I think mine is a 500 gpm pump and it has been OK for me. I have had my boat in the water every day for two months one summer without an issue but I found it very important to spend a little extra time screening your pump area as leaves and all kind of junk will get in your pump and plug it up. Don't use to fine of screen or it will be plugged all the time; 3/16 is about right and the small stuff that goes thru will also go through the pump.