PDA

View Full Version : Hey Walleyemax - a question for ya

pjadeitz
04-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Hey Max, when do you think the crappies will be shallow in the bays, staging for spawning... Came to the Chip last year a lot and did very well... I'm fishing the east side, northern bays...

walleyemaxx
04-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Hi pjadeitz

Alot depends on the water temps. Crappies usually make their move around 55 degrees. With the early spring this year the crappie eggs weren't getting very ripe at late ice. If the eggs do not ripen up in time, the crappies will injest them and not spawn at all. The eggs have to rippen in the time frame that their spawning temps are right. Lately the weather has cooled off so I'm hoping the time lag helps the crappies ripen up their eggs in time. Even at that, it could be a quick movement into the shallows. If that's the case, the fishing should be good out in the deep wood,cribs,stumps, and the many sunken bogs. Mother nature doesn't want to make it to easy for us. Good luck fishing everyone.

Walleyemaxx

pjadeitz
04-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the great insight, Maxx. I'm guessing another couple of weeks before the shallows light up. I may look you up with another guy, or one of my sons, for a guided trip on the Chip this Spring/Summer...

Thanks again...

JerkyJosh
04-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Last i heard temps on the chip were still in the mid 40's.

I would definitly suggest getting a guided trip with WalleyeMaxx, pretty much could guarantee you will catch a bunch of fish:) As a added bonus you will learn a lot also.