PDA

View Full Version : Water Temps

ttabaleulb
03-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Got out for my first trip of the year last weekend. Saw a couple of big girls cruisin the shallows but couldn't get them interested in anything. The Pike on the other hand were goin crazy. They were really into following but a few were nice enough to attack my fly. The first one was nice enough to attack my fly twice after I initially missed the first attack. I'd like to think that I'm finally turning the corner on my hook setting issues (went 2 out of 3), but we'll see how things go when the Musky show up to the dance. LOL

Anyhow, I was surprised to see surface temps in the low-mid 50's. Also talked to another fisherman who had a temp. probe and said he was getting readings of mid-upper 40's 6' down. Definitely looks like things might be early this year if the weather continues. Weeds were slow to come in last Spring around here. I'm thinkin this year might be just the opposite. As I'm a shallow water fisherman, I'm pretty psyched about that.

As side note, I was "good" all Winter and didn't really spend too much money on fishing stuff. Well, that all changed last night as I talked myself into a 3rd 10wt flyrod setup. This one is gonna be setup exclusively for topwater flies. So look out Musky, I'm not messin around this year!! LOL