PDA

View Full Version : March 22nd report

Rob Manthei
03-22-2012, 05:40 AM
Ice is pretty much out on most of the area lakes.....wow....talk about an early spring, or actually an early March.....

Who knows what April will bring. I am sure we'll see snow again, and I wouldn't be surprised to see near zero temperatures too.

The early ice out actually was a relief in my opinion to a lot of lakes in the area. Excessive panfish harvest again and again every year takes a toll on our small lakes. I would actually like to see a reduced panfish limit and even a size limit on some of the lakes in the area. This practice is done in several other areas of the state and works well and there isn't any bitching from the people when they are catching 8 to 10" bluegills and 12 to 14" crappies constantly, not cyclically.

Let's just hope for some rain during the next month and a half for the lake levels....

Good Luck all!

Mark Benson
03-22-2012, 09:38 AM
"The early ice out actually was a relief in my opinion to a lot of lakes in the area. Excessive panfish harvest again and again every year takes a toll on our small lakes. I would actually like to see a reduced panfish limit and even a size limit on some of the lakes in the area. This practice is done in several other areas of the state and works well and there isn't any bitching from the people when they are catching 8 to 10" bluegills and 12 to 14" crappies constantly, not cyclically."

Here, here to that sentiment, Rob!!!

Mark