PDA

View Full Version : The last hurrah.

The Bait Shop Guy
03-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Ended the season back where I started, out off of Saunder's Point. Spent 4 of the last 5 days out there. It certainly wasn't the whackfest you typically see at the end of season, but I did manage to catch enough for a couple meals.

Sunday the 11th I ended up with 2 and missed a 3rd fish. Action was late all 4 days, with no walleyes showing up until after 8pm.

Monday the 12th I sat in the rain and fog. Fish were really off that trip. No bites from the few fish that looked at my jig.

Wednesday the 14th I only had one suicidal walleye come in at 8:15! No hesitation, it just swam in and hit the jig, but didn't hook up. It dropped down, then flew up and smacked the jig again. This time I hooked it and reeled it up 7 or 8 feet before the hook came out. It dropped back down again slowly, so I just kept jigging away. Crazy thing hit it a third time, and this time the hooks held. I almost hated taking a nice, bitey fish like that out of the gene pool - almost.

Thursday the 15th I ended the season with one more 20 incher, and missed one other bite.

Action was late all four days, with no walleyes showing up until after 8pm. All were caught on a #9 Glow Hot Perch Jigging Rap. I had 10 inches of ice on Sunday, and was down to 6 inches by Thursday. Hopefully the heat wave continues, and we can be out in the boats before the end of the month.

Overall, not a great end of the season, but it beat sitting around the house, wishing I was fishing.

Some pics from the last few trips. 1st shows you like to see a walleye take your Rap. 3rd shows a goby one of the walleyes barfed up Sunday. A #9 Rap pretty much "matched the hatch" for size.

sarah123
03-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi Chris,
Just wanted to let you know I really appreciated all your updates on this site. My husband and I made it up the weekend of the 10th. We managed to catch 3...It was a great time...we will be back next year and will definitely be getting our bait from you!!! Also, we did purchase the glow perch jiggin rap from you and it was a producer!! Thanks again!!

The Bait Shop Guy
03-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Glad to help, and thanks for stopping in. We really appreciate the business. Hopefully the ice will be a little better, and the fish a little more co-operative next winter. See you then.