PDA

View Full Version : Sat. 3-10-12 report

raywriter
03-10-2012, 03:58 PM
A friend and I started the day at Bay View talking to Chris and picking up bait. We decided to fish the north end, and when we arrived we did see at least a dozen trucks out on the ice over 13 to 20 feet of water. We elected to head out with my four-wheeler. One interesting sight was a truck pulling a boat (on a trailer) out on the bay. It was a full sized boat with an outboard motor. As a caution, I thought the shoreline was becoming fairly sloppy, and I would not recommend driving out onto the main ice pack. This will become more evident as this warming spell continues. I measured the ice where we fished and it was 16" thick, but as we all know, you have to consider the access. Going through the ice at any depth is a big hassle. If you still have a permanent shanty out there I would recommend pulling it in by Sunday 3-11. I think the shorelines are going to get bad very soon.

As for fishing, we caught just a half-dozen nice perch, but we had fish on the camera almost constantly for the four hours we spent there. Our total catch was about 30 perch. Most were small. The depth was 14' where we set up. The high winds made moving too difficult this morning. Perch would hit wigglers best. We also caught fish using soft plastics on light jigs. We observed a fair number of walleyes on the camera. We saw no pike for a change.

tomjohn
03-10-2012, 04:18 PM
That was a good report ray. Unlike my sentence or two...lol