PDA

View Full Version : lake travel

pure_joker
03-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Hey guys, I'm heading up this weekend and was wondering how the lake travel may be this weekend with the warmer temps coming up? I've got a snowmobile but would rather use the quad if possible since it's better set up for hauling my gear/portable. I think I know the answer but was hoping for some input from someone who may be a bit closer to the actual conditions on the lake. Thanks in advance.

Mark Benson
03-06-2012, 12:26 PM
pure joker:

Because you may not hear from anyone else, I will do the best I can from Minocqua... I know that 'tween here and there a lot of snow fell. I think we may have gotten a bit more than they did, as there was not a lot of lake effect after the system snow left. I have been hearing that sleds have been far better at this time... Now we are looking at some warmer temps, but I don't know it they will pack things down enough for you this weekend. Not sure if this helps, but its the best I can tell you right now.

Mark

pure_joker
03-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the reply Mark, kinda thinking that the sled will have to do for the weekend.

Mark Benson
03-06-2012, 07:36 PM
If we get any cold weather after that, we might be able to drive other stuff...

Mark

tim long
03-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Things are going to be changing constantly. It got warm yesterday with sunny ski's. The snow was melting.
Two days ago the slush was bad on the lake once you got off the hard pack trails that have been made by the snowmobiles. I will be out there today to move some of my shacks around for the weekend I will post some up to date info this evening.
My opinion would be to bring the sled.

Tim Long

tim long
03-08-2012, 02:09 AM
It was bad out there today and was getting worse by the minute. (Slush) We had drizzle and rain during the day and evening then it changed to snow later tonight after 10pm.
I had some friends that were out this evening and were very successful fishing for walleye just before and after dark on tip-ups. 17-25" walleyes in the bay. They called it slow With 5 fish. This was the last I heard from them. 5 hours of fishing 5 legal fish. This is the first of any walleye I heard being caught in couple weeks. ( it's been slow but looks like it is picking up.) They did send me pictures on my cell to prove it. Very nice fish!

Travel is tough right now.
Keep in touch, I'll try to keep you updated.

Tim

pure_joker
03-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks Tim. Well, hoping that the cooler weather will firm things up a bit enough for some lake travel. We're hitting the road in the morning and should be there around 10 in the a.m. so hoping for the best.

tim long
03-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Things did firm up a little yesterday (Thur.) I was able to move the ice shanty's with out any trouble.
Last night it got cold and it was snowing. Travel on the lake will be a little bit better today. Everything depends on weather.
By next week we will have warm temps for several days in a row. That will melt all the snow down that is on top of the ice and we should have good travel anywhere on the lake.