PDA

View Full Version : Tip Up set ups

StickyHooks
03-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Just moved to Escanaba a few months ago and have been skunked 8 outta 8 times with my traditional tip up rigs. I have tried perch rigs with two 2" shiners and single hook rigs with a #8 trebel using a 4" sucker. Both of these are proven methods on inland lakes in Iron Co. I have fished the Gladstone (25 to 30' deep) and have worked my way north towards the river along Bay Shore Rd (15 to 20' deep). I typically fish 1 to 3' off the bottom over a 6 tip up spread.

Do you have to jig on this Bay or is there a better way to rig tip ups for LBDN?

Maybe I left my luck in Iron Co?

Ifishok
03-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Your set-up is basically what I do (minus six tip-ups because I'm only allowed two and a pole), but I try to use a small treble and leader in case I hook onto a sharp-toothed pike.

Adding a Swedish Pimple is a popular choice.

ice chaser
03-04-2012, 08:33 PM
The only thing I would try diffrent is run a 8to10ft mono leader I use 8lb and have had really good success with this method..

BobbyK
03-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I keep my bait a minimum of 2ft off the bottom and it almost always produces one fish (I only put one tip-up out). I keep it high because they like coming up from underneith the bait. Makes them feel sneaky :cool: Not sure if you were doing that already or not but thought I'd mention it.