PDA

View Full Version : Whitefish?

rambler
03-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Hey Guys,
I hear plenty of folks talking about large numbers of Whitefish in LBDN and BBDN. I am planning on taking a day in the middle of next week to give that a try and have never fished them before. If someone can give me a little direction on exactly where to go, how deep etc. I would appreciate it. And techniques would be welcome also.
Do they bite during the day alright?
I am thinking maybe I can fish Whitefish during the day and set up for Walter during the magic hour.
I have a good locator and camera that I am learning to use. An ATV and a large portable, Otter resort.
I welcome any advice or comments.
An ignorant cuss am I!
Lloyd

billybango
03-02-2012, 07:27 PM
I don't know if this works in the bays de noc, but what follows is an explanation of the rig I used on sturgeon bay for whitefish last month!
Rod spooled with 8 lb. mono. Thread the line through the eye of a #6 bait holder or octopus hook so the hook point is up. Do not tie hook to line. On the end of the line tie a small barrel swivel. Add 12" to 18" mono leader and tie to a 1/8-1/4 oz spoon.

We did not bait the spoon. I actually took the hook off the spoon so I would not "catch" zebra muscles. On the sliding hook, stick a waxworm right through the "nose".

We would pound bottom with the spoon and then pause for just a second or two with tight line then pound again. Spring bobbers were almost mandatory as the bite was almost undetectable. I'm not sure if zebra muscles are key but that is we're the fish were.