PDA

View Full Version : Decent bite the last few nights

The Bait Shop Guy
02-23-2012, 11:57 PM
The bite has been good for me the last few nights - just wish I could say the same thing about the hooking and landing!

I've been out the last three evenings, fishing with everyone else in the "community meat hole" off the Gladstone harbor. The fishing has been slow until about 6 pm, then marking fish pretty steady for 30 to 45 minutes. With it getting dark later, there's just enough time to get out after work to hit the prime sunset bite. I've been driving the truck on at the Gladstone yacht club access. Shore is looking pretty sloppy, but it's better than it looks. There's 13 inches of good ice, about as far south as the Terrace.

Tuesday night I landed three fish. Two were just short, and one was 19 inches. Got the legal fish on a #2 Shiver Minnow in the Bait Shop Guy Special pattern, (our exclusive color.) The other two were on #9 Glow Hot Perch and #7 Glow Green Tiger Raps. Lost one other legal fish and missed 4 or 5 other bites.

Wednesday night I landed two 18 to 19 inch fish, lost 4 more, and missed another 5 or 6 bites! Landed the two on a #3 Glow Tiger Shiver Minnow. The #9 Glow Hot Perch Rap took a lot of hits, but again, had a heck of a time hooking up!

Thursday night I landed three walleyes. Two eaters, and one short fish. Lost two more, including one about 20 inches right at the hole. First time I've lost a fish on a Shiver Minnow because the back hook snagged on the ice. Missed another 3 or 4 hits as well. Everything was on the #3 Glow Tiger Shiver Minnow tonight. Jigging pretty aggressive, a lot of the fish are shooting past the bait. Slow down, and they seem to lose interest. No action on tip-ups the last couple times I used them out there.

Couple pics from the last few nights. Nothing mind blowing, but it's good enough to keep me happy. Also a picture of the BSGS Shiver Minnow, for those that haven't seen it yet.

Good luck to everyone this weekend.

rambler
02-24-2012, 07:47 AM
I am going to have to start stalking you Chris. I was out last night with a generous supply of minnows from you. I managed to keep them out of harms way for the most part. Hooked one fish just at dark on an orange glow jigging rap. Lost it at the ice. Just an eater sized fish. Had a couple other fish show interest in the jigging rap but no other takers. I was in about 28 feet of water off Gladstone. How deep were you fishing Chris?
Lloyd

xtroll
02-24-2012, 08:37 AM
I was within sight of you last night, Chris... yellow quad 100 yards toward your bait store. Nuttin ... 32 fow, was too deep and wrg. color maybe. I wont get skunked tonight, fresh fish friday at Elmers...lol.
Thanks for the report!

sarah123
02-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the update, we are coming up next Friday...really looking forward to visiting!

Ifishok
02-24-2012, 04:03 PM
xtroll and chris I was between you two (one man flip-over and 3 wheeler) in roughly 30fow. Slow for me with a few missed tip-ups and one undersized.

The Bait Shop Guy
02-24-2012, 10:42 PM
How deep were you fishing Chris?

Depth doesn't really seem to matter much out there. Over the last few trips, I've been in 30 to 34 FOW. I just try to get on the outside edge of the group.