PDA

View Full Version : Feb 23rd REPORT

Rob Manthei
02-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Most lakes are locked up right now, very little(if any) slush exist on the area lakes....I did find some last Saturday, but it wasn't anything to worry about with travel. Some lakes along the south shores are still pretty tough going with trucks. All in all, travel with trucks is pretty good.

Fishing has been somewhat of a roller coaster lately. One day good, the next, horrible. Fronts and moving fish have kept me guessing and on my toes. Fish are showing up on wierd locations and catching quite a few smallmouth on rocks lately....I have been spending most of my time fishing walleyes in deep grass or deep sand/gravel humps. Suckers and shiners under tip-ups or Jiggin Rapalas have been my choice. Windows have been short, with a typical bite lastly 45 minutes to 1.5 hours in the late afternoon or at daybreak.

Panfish action is picking up. Crappies are suspended off of structural weed points in 20 to 25 feet of water right now, staging to move into shallow weedy bays. Minnows, waxies, small Jiggin Raps, and plastics are all working.

Pike are everywhere....I've seen them deep in mud, rocks, and shallow weeds....they have been on the move....and got some nice releases lately...

With the snow forecasted for the weekend, travel may become tougher for the last weekend of gamefish season in March....however, we need the snow for the trails and the lakes.