PDA

View Full Version : weekend on the flowage.

thepoint
02-20-2012, 10:07 AM
I spent the weekend with 3 guys from work on the Big Chip. We got to the Flowage around 9 on Friday we hit blueberry out from Chippewa Pines in the 20 foot hole. The locator was full of fish, it took some time to figure out what they wanted and when we did get in to them they we 4" crappies! We checked in to Big Musky and they sent us out to some cribs on Scott Lake. He again we found loads of fish bust no size. Just as night set in the keepers moved in we ended the bay with 8 crappies. In the morning we loaded up to run the big lake we fished between the banana islands with not a fish marked. We then ran to miles point no fish there, we foshed behind picnic island once again no a fish marked. We then ran to the entrance to Crane Creek fished the bay with the 20 foot hole on the left marked a few fish that would not bite. So with that we ended back in Scott Lake for the night and ended up with 5 crappies and a few pike. Sunday we stuck to Scott with nothing to show for it. All on all not impressed with the ice fishing but it is February and not the best time to ice fish. We couldn't have been happier with Big Musky nice people and the bartender lives on the lake and put us on soome fish. Any words of advice on what I did wrong?

walleyemaxx
02-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the report thepoint,

Being February with the thickest ice of the year, I would have been fishing the deeper spots too like you said you did. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure there is some cover in the hole. This time of year that would be sunken bogs and other wood. It sounds like you did better by the cribs. This time of year, the feeding windows are shorter. Oxygen levels decrease somewhar, just enough to put some stress on the fish. You could probably hit the fish on top of the head and they wouldn't bite. When we get a warm spell where it actually starts to melt some snow,be sure to try again. When you drill holes and the water starts to run back into the hole is a good time to be fishing. That water that melts and is dispersed into the water also oxygenates the water. that will also make a better shallower water bite especially for bluegills. The weeds will start to grow producing lots of oxygen again. But always be aware of the ice conditions. Thick late ice can be dangerous. Look for the darker ice and avoid it. When the ice goes, then we can get our boats out there. Good luck fishing.

Walleyemaxx

JerkyJosh
02-21-2012, 07:31 PM
the point,

Pretty much had the same luck as you this weekend. Saturday morning we started out in deep water, just like you and had trouble finding fish also. Actually Saturday was the worst ice fishing day i had ever had on the flowage. In my defense i tried all new spots to get away from going to the same spot everytime. It was fun tho running all over, trying to find fish in new spots that you think there should be fish at. That's why The Chip is such great body of water! Did the same on Sunday morning and then i just wanted to catch a fish, so i went to a trusted spot for 3 hours and we caught 7 keeper perch (all over 9 inches) and 4 keeper crappie. Waxies for the perch and crappie minnows for the crappie, imagine that! Will hit it again this weekend trying to find a new spot:) Good luck fishing everyone.

ps

Tom - started the book. Good job man! After getting you as a guide last year and now reading this book i have sure learning a lot of good info. Let me know when you are heading to The Big Chip again and we can hookup.

walleyemaxx
02-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the report J.J.

It,s a good idea to continully find 'new' spots. The Big Chip is so big that a guy could spend a lifetime learning new spots. That's what is so unique qbout it. Even when the fish don't coopeate, the beauty and remoteness of the Chippewa Flowage is awesome. Glad you found some fish. Until the weather warms, I think fishing deep for crappies and perch and the bigger bluegills is the ticket.

I plan on going to the Flowage in about a week and a half. I'll give you a call. Right now I am in the middle of some winter projects that have prevented me from finding any time to fish. Thanks for the kind words about my book. I put a lot of time and effort into writting a book that will help people increase their catch everytime out. Most people have just a limited time to spend fishing so I wanted to help people MAXXimize their time on the water. It's a lot more fun to be consistently successfull. For anyone who wants to catch more fish, click http://www.walleyemaxx.com/pages/the-walleyemaxx-system-book.php. to order your copy of "The Walleyemaxx System". Thanks and good luck fishing everyone.

Walleyemaxx