PDA

View Full Version : Walleye on the Allegheny...Rockland Station/Kennerdell

justwalleyes87
02-18-2012, 02:44 PM
I realize its the wrong time of year to be asking about fishing on the river....but I want to hear some feedback about catching walleyes on the Allegheny River in Venango Co. (our family has a camp at Rockland Station, about 7 river miles up river from Emlenton. I have caught some nice walleye in the past (one was 28" long), almost always on stick baits and lures that rattle. However, it seems that it's hit or miss when I catch a walleye...I want to learn how to catch walleye consistently during all times of the year. I've found it to be quite difficult to catch them in the summer...Fall seems to produce the best results. What about Spring? I've never fished for walleye in the spring/early summer.

I would greatly appreciate any input/advice on how to catch walleye consistently during all the seasons of the year, especially summer/early fall because thats when I spend the most time there. Any advice on what to use as bait, how to use certain baits. As I mentioned, I've caught almost all my walleye on stick baits, Rapala shad, and sometimes minnows. Anyway, if anyone has any good tips to improve my walleye catches on the Allegheny, please let me know. Thanks.

allegheny river kid
02-19-2012, 11:41 AM
The springtime i generally do best in shallow water say less then 10 feet throwing 3 to 4" suspending stick baits, natural and bright colors. The fall i generally do one of three things, lindy rig, jig n minnow or sonars. This past fall was a very good one for me for walleyes, the hot producer was sonars and they put more fish 18" and better in the boat then livebait, especially in higher and dirtier flows. Summertime is definitely a difficult time, best option is to fish after dark, but expect fish to be more scattered then what you see in the fall and springtime. If your into getting bigger fish especially in the fall you need to use bigger bait, 6 to 10" range wether it be live bait or lures. Wintertime is usually good jig n minnow time, slow dragging and hopping along the bottom usually produces best results, bites are often very subtle.

Pescatore
02-21-2012, 05:43 PM
We just bought a camp straight across the river from you in Rogers Riviera. I haven't fished for walleye on that stretch yet, but our realtor and her husband live a couple camps down from us and he promised to show me his walleye expertise in exchange for my musky knowledge. I've caught several muskie on that stretch in very few hours of fishing there. We just closed on the camp in early February and I've been told it is a very productive area for walleye.