PDA

View Full Version : Squirko's

Red Childress
02-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Finally picked up a couple of these baits @ Butler.........has anyone had success with these?

toothyfishman
02-16-2012, 03:50 PM
I have 2 of them, I've had some muskie action on them. The pike love'em. I'm always scared one of those hammerhandle pike will bite off my tail but it hasn't happened yet.

Pete Stoltman
02-17-2012, 09:56 AM
If you haven't had a pike bite them off yet...it will happen. Replace with Action Plastics 8" Mag Grub. I always keep a few ready for when the inevitable happens. Great bait and largely overlooked.

Red Childress
02-17-2012, 10:23 AM
I always carry some extra tails with me. As a matter of fact, I just ordered some extra tails from you guys on Saturday.

Pete Stoltman
02-17-2012, 11:36 AM
One thing I've noticed about Squirkos and peoples reaction to them. They do not have the same kind of a wide glide action like the original Jerko or for that matter a Hellhound, Manta, etc. This does NOT mean they don't catch fish. It is a bit more subtle presentation than a super long glide but muskies haven't quite figured out that they're not supposed to eat them if they don't glide 4 feet to each side. We as fishermen sometimes forget that we are dealing with an animal that wants to eat and from time to time make little muskies. It's not about what we think they should eat. I've had this proven time and again that because a bait doesn't have a sexy looking color pattern or doesn't wiggle quite the way we think it should, the muskies don't care. If it appears to be good enough to eat then go with it. Let the fish tell you what they want, not the advertising hype. I love the cool colors and all that stuff just as much as the next guy but from time to time we really overthink this stuff. All said and done it's fantastic that we have so many possible choices and ways to try to fool these fish. I don't want to go back to the days of having a Daredevele, a Mepps, a Suick and calling it a done deal.

toothyfishman
02-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Kind of a little more action that the suick, little side to side glide with the pull.
I haven't been carrying spare tails so I'm sure the next time out I'll need one, thanks guys!!!! LOL

Funny you talked about the hype and fisherman needing the right color or perfect action.
One day on the water I discussed with my partner that I wasn't sure how many perch there was on river and whether or not perch should be good even though I knew it was..............

His reply was awesome..............."Not sure how many perch there are in here but I can tell you one thing I haven't seen a *&%$% bulldawg swim by all day............."

Point well taken!!! Funny.

HD Fatboy
02-17-2012, 04:03 PM
That is sure one way at looking at this. I always wondered myself what kind of a fish in a lake or river looks like the tubes we also throw?

Red Childress
02-24-2012, 08:13 AM
I chucked the Squirko for a couple of hours or so in a few different spots last Saturday and had 4 follows/blow ups from 4 different species of fish believe it or not........a decent Walleye, a very big trout, a small pike and a medium sized musky. The trout was just slashing all around the bait and the walleye actually rolled up on it but no hooks and the other 2 just followed.

ThreeRiversEsox
02-24-2012, 10:43 AM
The musky tubes were actually designed to mimic the goby, which doesn't have a swim bladder, lays on the bottom and moves in short hops like you get when jigging them while drifting. It's the reason they've been so successful in rivers with current where muskies set up behind breaks... the trolling guys just can't get their baits in the active zone as long.

river rat 83
03-03-2012, 05:10 PM
One thing I've noticed about Squirkos and peoples reaction to them. They do not have the same kind of a wide glide action like the original Jerko or for that matter a Hellhound, Manta, etc. This does NOT mean they don't catch fish. It is a bit more subtle presentation than a super long glide but muskies haven't quite figured out that they're not supposed to eat them if they don't glide 4 feet to each side. We as fishermen sometimes forget that we are dealing with an animal that wants to eat and from time to time make little muskies. It's not about what we think they should eat. I've had this proven time and again that because a bait doesn't have a sexy looking color pattern or doesn't wiggle quite the way we think it should, the muskies don't care. If it appears to be good enough to eat then go with it. Let the fish tell you what they want, not the advertising hype. I love the cool colors and all that stuff just as much as the next guy but from time to time we really overthink this stuff. All said and done it's fantastic that we have so many possible choices and ways to try to fool these fish. I don't want to go back to the days of having a Daredevele, a Mepps, a Suick and calling it a done deal.

You hit the nail on the head here. Besides the proven baits that we know work, sometimes all it takes is throw S*^# to the wall and see what sticks!

wadealexander
03-21-2012, 11:19 PM
i saw a friend with his head turned say basically, ya this thing doesnt always work right, and a nice pike bite its tail off... lol ...looked good to me but seems to freak out once in a while, coulda been the river tho... i will probably be getting one tho soon

toothyfishman
03-22-2012, 05:18 AM
My boat partner got a 44" on one last weekend...............they work!

wadealexander
07-07-2012, 04:13 PM
i have used them and they are erratic... as long as you dont have a problem adjusting to them i think you will like them...

it doesnt seem to be a bad thing just not a lazy lure