PDA

View Full Version : Allegheny River information

huntingteacher
01-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Hello from Kentucky. I found your site and am interested in fishing the river with out Kayaks. For the last 5 years, myself, sons, and newphew have camped at Clear Creek and fished the Clarion. We call it, "Mancation." We love smallmouths and the occaisional trout. The river is so beuatiful.. Check out our Clarion River Kayak Club on Facebook. We are looking for a new river to fish one day and would like your opinion on put in and take out locations for Kayak fishing the Allegheny. We'd like an all day float. This part of the world is my favorite place on Earth. I'm from Natrona Heights, but have lived in KY for 23 years. Great Website. I'd rent you as a guide, but our wives have us on a tight budget :) We have an extra Kayak, if you want to float the Clarion with us one day in June.
Thanks Scott.

Red Childress
01-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Hey Scott,

There are 2 floats that I would recommend for a full day of fishing/leisure. The first one would be to launch at the Kinzua Tailrace and float 13 miles to the Starbrick launch. The second float (a few miles longer than the first float) would have you starting at the Warren Hospital and floating to the Bonnie Brae (PFBC) boat launch. The first float would have better trout fishing and the second would put you in better smallmouth water.

Hope this helps and good luck!

muskyjerk
01-30-2012, 09:42 AM
On the PFBC site check out the Middle Allegheny River water trail map. Shows launches from Warren to the lock and dam section of the river.

huntingteacher
01-31-2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks, hopefully weather will cooperate. I love your part of the Country, at least in the summer. I'm too soft now for your winters.
We shut down school with 2 inches of snow.

Red Childress
02-01-2012, 07:55 AM
I know what you mean regarding schools shutting down cuz I grew up in Western VA (13 miles from the KY line). My junior year of HS we missed 21 straight days of school. Those steep, winding mountains were tough for the school buses even when the roads were dry!

toothyfishman
02-01-2012, 09:25 AM
I think I have some maps laying around that has the launch locations from the dam down about 50 miles worth of river?
I'll look and see if I have an extra one, if I do I could send you one if your interested. The entire river is awesome for smallmouth as far down as route 80, I've fished different stretches of it the entire way down. I would think that once it hits the lock system area that the river would change. I've never fished those areas.
Many day trip floats with access points the whole way down.
Lots of islands have camping spots on them that floaters stay over on as well.