PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing report for 1-22-2012

walleyemaxx
01-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Hi everyone,

What a difference from one day to the next. Sat. it was -22 below zero and today it was 26 above zero. Much more comfortable. Fished a small lake in Vilas county again on Sunday. With the warmup, we had a heavy overcast sky with a freezing drizzle coming down being carried by a brisk south wind. Fished in one spot for about 4 hours because the fish kept coming in. They weren't always in the biting mood but just when I figured it was time to move, I'd catch one. I wound up with a total of 16 Perch keeping 8, 6 Walleyes all small, and 1 stinking rock bass. With the fillets from Sat. I have a fish fry waiting to happen.

Today I could only catch fish with a spoon tipped with a waxxie. They shunned the minnow head. They also didn't want the jigging rap no matter what I put on it. They were never overly aggresive and I had to work each one to get them to hit, but that makes for a very fun experience. Watching how they react on the Vex enables me to determine how to work the bait to get them to hit. I missed more hits then I caught because they were so jittery. They would take a quick swipe at the bait but not take it entirely, just the tail end of the waxxie. I went through two tins of waxxies. Also had to scale down the size of the spoon I was using. Wound up using the smallest spoon I had.

The ice has increased to 14" here now too. The cold blast we had made some ice everywhere. We have more snow on the ice here but the cold froze the slush. Travel on the ATV was still very good. It is snowing a ton right now. That might change the travel conditions on the ice. The weight of the snow will push the ice down and squeeze the water up under the snow making slush conditions again. have to wait and see. Good luck fishing everyone and be sfe.

Walleyemaxx