PDA

View Full Version : Spectron Green

makins117
01-19-2012, 02:04 PM
I have been using Spectron Green and haven't had to buy any for a long time. Apparently they don't make it anymore. Does anyone know any places that have any left? If not, are there any good alternatives out there? I have never liked the coated lines that are stiffer and always preferred the limpness of the Spectron. I know they still make the blackspot color, but not sure how well that color works. Do musky really care about the line color or am I overthinking this? Thanks all in advance.

Jax
01-19-2012, 09:50 PM
I have used 80# spectron white/blackspot for a long time and like it alot. I think it is all personal preference but if you think about it most musky will be looking up at the bait so I think the lighter color line blends in better with the lighter background (sky)......especially with surface lures. Remember, its not how we see the line or see the lure or what the lure sounds like to us because it is all different to the musky!! :)

makins117
01-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Anyone have a reason that I should upgrade to 100lb test line instead of using 80lb test? Does the 100lb get too thick to effectively throw smaller bucktails and such?

Ty Sennett
01-25-2012, 10:27 AM
I would stick with the 80# if you are going to throw small bucktails with it. The 100# will shorten your cast distance quite a bit.

As for color of the line I haven't really seen where it matters much. Then again I fish the Chip most of the time and that water is really stained. One of the best quotes I heard about line color was from Bruce Shumway. He said "I think muskies should be able to see your line. Then they know there is a lure coming shortly."