PDA

View Full Version : 12-28 report

The Bait Shop Guy
12-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Finally made it out for my first icefishing trip of the season. I drove to the end of Saunder's Point yesterday. There was open water on the north side of the point, but it was still iced in to the south, as far as the camp grounds. I figured that if the ice was still there on Wednesday, I'd fish it. Got there today, and it was still there. Actually, after the wind died down early this morning, the lower bay skimmed over as far south as the Terrace. Assuming it doesn't blow out, that ice should be good for foot traffic in another week to ten days.

Anyway, I set up off the campgrounds in 36 FOW. Measured 4 inches of ice. Started marking fish on the graph before I even wet a line. In an hour and a half I caught 3 walleyes, and lost two more. Caught a nice 20 incher, 15 minutes after I stared fishing. The other two were 15 1/2 and 15. Caught two and lost one on a #9 Glow Hot Perch Rap, and got one and lost one on a #3 Glow Perch Shiver Minnow.

All in all, not a bad start to the season.

deadbear4
12-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the Report Bait shop guy. I talk to you the other day about Guided Walleye ice fishing. This report gets me excited, still am unsure if I want to try it my self. Would like someone to show me the way. I will have to keep trying to get ahold of HAWG HEAVEN. Nice pic, please keep them coming.

CrankYanker
12-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Crowded down there tonight? Took a ride after work to scope it out and couldn't believe over a dozen trucks and almost twenty shacks... wow... Please be careful down there.. that ice is not to trusted in that spot. So out of all those people who caught some fish?

The Bait Shop Guy
12-30-2011, 10:58 PM
So out of all those people who caught some fish?

I DID! I DID! ;)

Things were really busy at the shop today, so I didn't get on the water until almost 4:30. Fished one line for a little over an hour, landing 6 legal walleyes. Nothing huge, just good eaters. Caught Three on a #2 Shiver Minnow in the Dominator color, two on a #9 Glow Hot Perch Jigging Rap, and one on a #3 Shiver Minnow in a color not available to the general public just yet :cool:

that ice is not to trusted in that spot.

Roger that! Always go south of the parking area, never to the East or North of the point. With all the current going through the narrows, that ice is never safe, even in the coldest winters. The majority of the people that have drowned over the years, went through in that area!

I measured 4 inches of ice tonight, but it was a very soft 4 inches, (ice was much harder a couple nights ago in the same spot.) All the ice that had formed south of Gladstone a few days ago has blown away, so we were fishing only a few hundred yards away from open water tonight. The strong south and westerly winds predicted for the next few days will make that ice "iffy" at best. I really wouldn't recommend going out there until after the cold weather moves in next week.

tomjohn
12-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Nice job Chris. I saw a guy out there tonight that looks just like you.

The Bait Shop Guy
12-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Ugly, fish catchin' S O B, ain't he! :p