PDA

View Full Version : Fishing report for 12-17-2011

walleyemaxx
12-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Hi everyone,

Big Mick came up again to catch some more Walleyes and Perch. He wasn't disappointed. In an afternoon, we iced 20 Walleyes keeping 2 and 17 Perch keeping 7. It was snowing with a very strong west wind and cold temps so I was happy that we were able to drive our machines out to where we wanted to go. Still stayed close to shore around to the point we could drive straight out to it. I drilled test holes and found the ice thickness to be 6" so we drove to the spot. Drilling more holes out farther showed down to 4" of ice so we still can't just drive right across the lake. That means we couldn't be mobile so we stayed put.

The spot we fished is the same as last week and is still full of Walleyes and Perch. we caught 3 Walleyes on tip ups and the rest jigging. We had Shinners and sucker minnows on the tip ups, but only the Shinners got bit. On the jig poles we had the best action on a jigging rap tipped with a minnow head. I tried waxxies again with no hits on them. Changed back to a minnow head and bang bang bang. All the Perch were caught on the same rig. The jigging raps we are using are sizes 2 and 3. The lake has a 15" minimum size limit and 7 Walleyes were 141/2". The biggest Perch was 11". Right now small baits seem to be producing better. I did experiment wuth a few larger baits, but nothing will touch them. The natural food right now must be something small so the fish are accustomed to eating that. We'll be back at it tommorow. Good luck fishing everyone and be safe.

Walleyemaxx