PDA

View Full Version : River Conditions

tomyv
11-24-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm thinking about heading north this weekend and was wondering what the Allegheny wather levels look like up around Tionesta? Don't want to make the drive if it's real high.

Thanks!

Red Childress
11-24-2011, 06:38 PM
We are running high up here.....about 2-3 feet above normal but clarity is good and I would guess pretty clear down in Tionesta........no rain in the forecast until
Sunday so things should clean up a little more by then. Good Luck!

Pescatore
12-03-2011, 08:50 PM
I know we've had some rain down south Pittsburgh area, but what does the river look like up Tionesta/Tidoute/Warren this weekend?

Red Childress
12-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Water is high but clean (like it has been for several weeks) and is suppose to be on the drop starting today. Outflow temps are 45-46 and Warren temps are 44 as of yesterday.

Red Childress
12-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Outflow levels were cut back about an hour ago which should translate to about a 4-6 inch decrease in river levels.

Red Childress
01-09-2012, 11:14 AM
River was on a severe drop over the past 4 days and temps are in the 36-38 degree range (in the Warren area) depending how close to the dam you are.

muskyjerk
01-09-2012, 05:12 PM
River levels bouncing around down south with overall drop. Hasn't hurt fishing. Got my first of the year friday 34". Today I caught 3 for the first time with a 22", 24" and my personal best a 47" fat girl. All bit in a 1/2 hour span. No pictures as I was by myself in the kayak with my hands full.

Red Childress
01-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Nice going man!

We had 2 rough days last weekend (with the water dropping quickly) with only 1 musky netted and a few 'slashers' that missed the bait. I think I am pretty much finished until March/April now.

toothyfishman
01-10-2012, 09:12 AM
47" in a kayak...............you did have your hands full ;)

muskyjerk
01-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Add a 37" today. Throw in a couple of walleye that didn't mind a 6" lure. my best start to a year ever. Finally think I can definitely say I picked up on a pattern.

muskyjerk
01-27-2012, 11:23 AM
After checking river level charts while the overall trend was dropping water levels the times I caught fish were either hours of a consistent level or on a slight rise.
Went out wednesday and thought the level dropped around 6" and The USGS page listed a drop of .2 feet during this time. While my estimate is not exact the drop was significant at the launch. Is it possible that the lock measurement may not reflect the downstream measurement as water may have a different drop level so close to the dam?

Red Childress
01-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Yes, I think so.

The further South from the dam the more tributaries there are as you know. Those tribs may or may not influence the river level as much (or as little) as reflected in the ACE's daily projected river level. Then you have to factor in the "extra" water that is introduced to the river (at Kinzua Dam) via hydroelectric gravity flow from the upper reservoir......that water is not included in the ACE's river level projections. Also, there are small flow changes occurring on an hourly basis each and every day so it is far from an exact science but it is close enough for my boat. :)