PDA

View Full Version : Raystown Report

ttabaleulb
10-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Well, just got back from another trip to Raystown. We were supposed to be another striper trip but of course we always have extra time to chase toothy critters over the course of the weekend. In a total of about 10-12hrs of Musky fishing, we moved 5 fish. One low 30's in the net. Had a heartbreaker of a heartstopper blow up on a topwater bait 10ft from the boat, but missed the damn bait!! She was nice enough to do a swim-by right next to the boat to let us know just how nice of a fish we missed. LOL Anyhow, it was great to find some active fish in that massive lake. They were nice to us and seemed to show up at most of the "Musky-looking" spots. I love it when that happens. I'd still like to spend more time on that water. Just a shame if becomes such a freak show in warmer weather.

Jay

Red Childress
10-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Nice going, Jay! You were not fishing the 'easiest' musky water either.

You mentioned that fish missing your bait........on Sunday we had a very nice pike come completely out of the water and do a full front flip without even touching the bait and then it came back and missed again. It still amazes me how these top predators can be so clumsy sometimes.

toothyfishman
10-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Jay I was thinking you gave fishing up this season!!!!! Glad to hear your getting out, like Red said nice job on a tough lake.

2 weekends ago I had two swipes by a fish that missed both times, then blasted a topwater out of the water on a throw back cast with it's mouth closed, like rammed it with it's snout. Crazy!

ttabaleulb
10-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks guys. I've found a few spots on that lake that just look too prime and tend to make sure I spend some time there while we are on that lake. Plus, the weeds had more green to them this year and I think that played a role. We moved 3 of those fish between 11am and Noon on Sunday. Just curious to see if anyone else saw some action around that time.

This topwater stuff still has me befuddled. I've missed quite a few this year between the Flyrod and conventional gear. I've even tried to slow down my hookset with no luck so far. Oh well, its still a blast to see them hit that way.

Frank,

LOL I know, its been a tough year for me in terms of getting on the water. Luckily, the few times I did get out, the fish were usually nice enough to at least show themselves. Still hopin to get another trip or 2 before the ice starts showin up. We'll see.

Jay

Red Childress
10-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Our big fish ate in that time frame but 24 hours earlier.

Ivan
10-25-2011, 11:47 AM
I looked up the solunar tables for a Raystown zip code last weekend. The major (moon overhead), on Sunday 10/23, was from 9:52am to 11:52am. My bet is that this somewhat explains the action you saw during that time period.

Ivan
10-25-2011, 11:56 AM
With the three rod rule PA is supposed to have adopted for next yr, your post has me considering a Raystown run next year. I am sure there are some pigs in there, and I imagine it gets little muskie fishing pressure. Might be a good place to put 3 people in the boat and sift the water with boards and 9 rods.

ttabaleulb
10-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Good info. I'll bet thats why they were so active at that time cause otherwise, it was sunny with hardly any wind and not much else to really fire them up that I could see or think of. I guess thats another point on the solunar tables I have to make sure I pay attention too.

I'd definitely give that lake a try with that trolling set up. I can't imagine some of the beasts that might live in that lake.

HD Fatboy
10-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Ivan
Yes, 9 rods trolling I think may give some good results on this lake.