PDA

View Full Version : Oct 12th report

Rob Manthei
10-12-2011, 06:17 AM
Looks like we are going to get some more normal weather here finally....I just want to give a quick update of things that are going on, and what to expect.

Water temps are around 60 on most of the mid to larger lakes....with the recent heavy winds again, I think some of the mid-sized lakes turned...I've been out everyday fishing all shapes and sizes...looks to me that the 500 to 1000 acre lakes turned....not so sure about the larger ones...probably not.

Muskies have really picked up over the last couple of days....everything has been on lures. Cowgirls worked at a medium speed has been my best...we did get a nice tiger on a sucker Saturday...but since then, everything has been on Cowgirls(both #9's and 10's)...including 2 figure 8 fish yesterday. Suckers seem to be a decoration to them right now, at least on the quality musky lakes. Some large fish are starting to move, with 2 over 48" showing themselves the last 2 days...too bad Thursday I am heading to Wyoming to kill an Elk.....

Weededges in 10', shallow weed flats, mid lake rock bars, and moderate sloping shorelines have are produced fish or follows for me.

Walleyes are using the mud, sandgrass, and on lakes that have turned, shallow to mid depth coontail. Redtails(where you can find them) are the best choice for these guys right now. Use the lightest jig that you can get away with and work the bottom slowly.

Good luck out there!!