PDA

View Full Version : Great Musky Fishing! Oct 4 report

Jeff's Guide Service
10-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Oct 4, 2011 Fishing Report

Hi folks.

Beautiful weather and good fishing. These two things normally don’t go together, but right now we sure are enjoying it. Muskies have been excellent as of late. We’ve been catching fish every time out and on a variety of baits and lures. We’ve caught muskies while walleye fishing with jigs-and-minnows; we’ve also been catching them pretty regularly now on suckers – it’s always good to have one over the side at this time; and on artificial lures. My favorite and best-producing lure is still my trusty Suick but perch-colored crane baits, rubber baits and even bucktails have been producing action. We’ve been concentrating around deep weed edges and points. We haven’t found these fish particularly aggressive. We’ve been twitching the cranes and using stop-and-go motions with them – similar with the Suick. I’ve been using a weighted Suick and letting it slowly rise almost to the surface before jerking it back down. With the rubber baits I’ve been raising and lowering them, trying to work them as slow as possible. Fish haven’t followed much, but by using these types of motions they explode on the baits from directly below --- putting on quite a show! Once this nice weather clears out, and a change comes in, musky anglers should have a ball. I have not seen turnover yet on any lakes. Water temps seem to be hovering in the high 50’s, beginning to push 60 – the lowest I’ve seen was 54-1/2 degrees.

There’s also been a very good multi-specie bite going on. Walleyes are beginning to hit and are being found mainly in weeds or deep timber. While fishing ‘eyes we’re also catching a lot of northerns, along with some very nice size crappies and some jumbo perch. These fish also are not acting extremely aggressive so keep your retrieves slow and feel your way along. Jig tipped with minnows are the bait of choice. Fatheads have been producing very well, but I would always take a dozen or two redtails with me, as fish have their moments when they want that little bigger bait. Anglers should just experience better and better fishing as this month progresses, and the anglers that can get up this weekend should just have a ball between the weather and the fishing.

Good luck fishing.
Jeff Winters www.jeffsguideservice.com