View Full Version : Turnover?

Big Perc
09-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Herbie,
Curious to your thoughts on turnover. Dad and I are leaving a week from Friday to head up, looking at the weather forecast it doesn't look like it will be cold enough to cause turnover to happen. Maybe this isn't the case. I know the last time we were up there the last week in September is was pretty cold and turnover had happened what is going to be different if anything this year? Any particular baits working better than others, patterns that are more productive...?

Thanks,
Matt Percival

Steve Herbeck
09-14-2011, 05:32 PM
matt,
water temps dropped dramatically since sat when it was pushing 90 degrees and water temps 72-73 to today with cold nw winds past 3 days and last nite/today a few snow showers and water temps 62-63.
by sat forecasted to be back up into the high 60's/low 70's. i doubt with the longer nights we will see any noticable rise in water temps from here on out just a slow dropping as we move forward UNLESS we get a heat wave of duration that is not forecasted but it would take alot.
i doubt id turnover will be a drastic deal as the thermocline was very weak this season and water temps where within 1 degree or 2 from surface to 28-30' at least up to a couple weeks ago when i last checked.
that being said the rapid drop of water temps has some what slowed the muskies down past 2 days but it is what we need to get to where we need to be and they will adjust quickly and we should go on a good bite. past 3 days gary got a 50,the slamo bait team got 5 to 48,and there have some 40-47 " stuff caught.
the guys and guides fishing walleyes have had no drop in action actually even the past 2 days of cold and high winds the bite has been excellent if anything better with alot of 18-26" fish,no probelems catching eaters 15-17" either.
the bass should be making a move quickly now to the tops of the bars now that we are apporaching 60 degrees for some excellent action that is really overlooked by most with alot of fish 16-20".
look'n forward to seeing you and spending a day on the water with you as always and if you and your ole man's luck keeps holding up we should boat a big one.
herbie

Musky Fan
09-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Hey Matt, Were you running the booth at the Des Moines show? If so, you solidified my trip up to AML. I will be up there the same time as you and your father. Normally fish other Canadian lakes, but really excited about Eagle. Any baits other than, D10's, Jakes, Bull Dawgs, we need to bring? Colors other than black? Thanks for the update Steve. Would love to hear your thoughts on baits and colors too of course!

Big Perc
09-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Musky fan,
That indeed was me at the booth in Des Moines, glad to hear and we'll see you there. T minus 7 days. Can't wait!