PDA

View Full Version : Way Early To Think Ice Fishing!

notmuchlight
08-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi All,
I know that this is way early but I am coming up to Gogebic this year ice fishing and need some basics. When does ice normally start to form there? My trip will be the first week of January and am hoping to either be able to drive or use ATV's there to get around. Is this a good plan or is there to much snow by that time of year?

tim long
09-02-2011, 08:44 AM
I think it's always good to plan ahead and be prepared. It's really pretty hard to to tell at this time what the ice conditions will be like in the beginning of Jan., but I would say that they would be good. First ice could start as early as Nov. sometime but I'm thinking sometime in December. The north end is usually the first to freeze and can be very good fishing right out in front our place here at The Timbers Resort. This year I have a couple new permanent ice shanty's that I will have on the lake. I will be renting them out by the day and guiding from them as well. They are made by the legend enclosed trailer company. Here is a link to their web site if you would like to take a look at them.
http://www.legendmfginc.com/ice-shanty-hunting-blind.
I have some work to do on them right now to get them fishing ready but these would be very nice to fish out of this year. "I can't wait".

I'm thinking that you would be able to get around with a 4 wheeler in early January but it all depends on mother nature and where your going to be fishing. Snowmobile is the best way to get around.

I would be more than happy to help you out with detailed information if you would like. Just give me a call at The Timbers Resort. 906.575.3542 and we can talk fishin.

Thanks for checkin in with us here at Outdoors 911

Good Luck fishin,

Tim

notmuchlight
09-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks Tim, It is great to hear about the new equipment and where things begin up there. We fished the lake about 2 weeks ago and at least got a lay of lake so to speak and really looking forward to some good fishing in the winter. Right now we have 2 UTV vehicles and really hope that will work out. I may take you up on your offer to give you call to see how things are going as we get closer to the date.

Good luck to you as well.
Hank