PDA

View Full Version : Lake Erie

MAD91
08-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Why do I never hear about Lake Erie for Musky. I always read Musky Hunter and read various forums, but I never hear Erie being mentioned. What gives?

Mike

zach2626
08-14-2011, 10:29 AM
One thing might be is during the 1990's the fishery was hurt pretty bad due to over fishing. Some of us fish it but keep very quiet about it. I personally lost a true 40lber last year boatside fishing by myself on Erie in 4' waves at the end of November. The waves almost got me in trouble on that fish and I almost got pushed up on some big rocks which I am sure would have been horrible. The weather can also be terrible with big waves and wind. Best thing to do is go and try it for yourself. When I fish Erie I look for one bite a day and usually fish big baits. Best luck.

Stinky Finger
08-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Erie can be evil wicked mean & nasty. If she were a woman I'm betting she would be a redhead. Fine one minute and then lookout!
Waverly shoal can hold fish anytime but mostly Erie muskies tend to be concentrated around Buffalo early and late in the year.
In for the spawn and once temps hit 63 and the moss appears they are gone like a needle in a haystack out into the great abyss. It is not unheard of for the walleye guys to hook into one far out into over the summer the lake but it is rare.
The numbers around Buffalo pick up again in the fall as temps ebb and bait pods move back in.
The 54" size limit is a very good thing indeed, virtually guarantees C&R.

Zach check your PM's.