PDA

View Full Version : 4 stroke water pump circulation....

schmutzomatic 5000
08-09-2011, 07:26 PM
2006 9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker... I know it has a thermostat but is it supposed to pump water out the p-hole immediately or wait until the thermostat opens??? thanx for any help.. no temp buzzer going and with ears (line pressure would takes out the possible impeller prob.) didn't notice water immediately.. only ran for a minute but don't know if it pumps right away and I know someone out there has got one... May be a stuck thermo... thanx for any help..

DooFighter
08-10-2011, 07:03 AM
I believe it should come out the pee hole regardless of thermostat.

Hoosier
08-10-2011, 07:49 AM
i was having problems with mine , tried a few things same problem , finally found a piece if zebra musssel shell in the pee line? works great now. just throwin that out there!

picman
08-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Outboards SHOULD have a bypass curcuit. Water should be appearant (sp) within a few seconds. As said before, your water line could be plugged.

I would suggest you look at the pee hole itself to start. I have had bugs seal it off with dirt. It was very hard to see! You could take the motor cover off, find the water line, pull it and restart the motor. If you have water there, the pee hole is plugged. You can take a pin or small nail and open it up.

If that doesn't do it for you, you will need to work upstream.

PS. If you have a good muff seal, you might not even have to restart the motor.

schmutzomatic 5000
08-10-2011, 02:23 PM
I think it was a combo of water flea and weak impeller.. Gunna use the "when in doubt throw it out" rule and just change the impeller.. Thanks for all the help boys....tight lines

tomjohn
08-10-2011, 04:08 PM
That would be my first choice.