PDA

View Full Version : Perch report 8-6-11

raywriter
08-06-2011, 03:13 PM
This stretch of hot weather has heated up the perch fishing on the bay, and it has been very good for over a month. Today I stopped at Bay View to get perch minnows, 2" minnows, and crawlers. I found a school of perch at 24' and caught lots, keeping 15. The best today was 13", but recent trips have produced perch to 14". On other days I have found fish from 18' to 29'. Fish can be found from Kipling on south. Find a group on the locator first, then stop and work them.

Again, a size 3 Swedish Pimple spoon with a 2" leader and a size 6 or 8 single hook dressed with a lip-hooked minnow was best, but slip float rigs with tail-hooked minnows also produced. The Pimple is cast out and worked slowly back in just above bottom with a light twitch of the rod tip. Some fish are coming in while working this rig straight over the side of the boat. I am also catching walleyes this way but most are small. Some are keepers though.

silverblucleo
08-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the report. I will be coming up in 3 weeks. Hopefully the fish will still be there, what time of day were you out on the bay ? A few years ago we were catching perch in the early AM but not too much later in the day.

raywriter
08-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Time does not seem to matter much. Today, 10 to 11:30 a.m. was best. When you locate a small school of fish, anchor upwind of them, then let out anchor rope to drift back to them, you can usually trigger some bites.

tomjohn
08-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Great job on your post Ray. Nice to see a few perch being caught. I didn't do bad on the gills today either.