PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a new member

MAD91
07-25-2011, 05:22 PM
I have been reading this forum for some time now. I finally decided to join because I am quite impressed with the knowledge of the members. Through the readings, I feel like I almost know some of you. Red, I met you at the Butler Fishing show and I think I met a few others there as well. I don't fish the northern part of the Allegheny that much, but I am going to an archery shoot in Coudersport and am going to fish on the way up and back. I am thinking of hitting French Creek on the way up and some part of the Allegheny on the way back. I will be traveling on Rte 6 and 66, any suggestions will be welcome. Anyway, greetings to all and good luck. BTW, I fish mostly bass and muskie and am strictly catch and release.

Mike

Red Childress
07-26-2011, 07:10 AM
Hey Mike,

Glad to have you aboard! As for advising you on what to do for your trip to the northern PA area, you may have to let the water levels/temperatures dictate your destinations at that time. Our streams/creeks are really drying up around here and I have not mowed my grass in almost a month. We have plenty of water flowing in this section of river due to the dry conditions. The Corps of Engineers usually keeps the discharge flow on the "higher-than-normal" side to help with the barge traffic/irrigation needs of the SW PA region.

You will be in a fantastic trout area near the Coudersport area. Kettle Creek Dam and several good trout streams will be close to you as well as the Upper Allegheny River flowing along the PA/NY border. The confluence of Potato Creek/Allegheny River is also a hot spot during the summer months.

Good Luck!

cband
07-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Is the bow shoot at Denton Hill Ski Resort? If so, we used to have some good times up there. Good luck with whatever you fish with.

SportJet120
07-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Welcome Mike, Good luck fishing and shooting as well. Are you a traditional shooter?

MAD91
07-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Thank you for the replies and thanks for the info Red. Some folks from the area had told me that from Port A down it would be worth it to fish for muskies? I may hit several different areas on the way up and back.
The shoot is at Denton Hill Ski resort and is traditional only. It is a blast. We have a group of 10-16 guys that rent a cabin on the top of the mountain right above Denton Hill near the Potato City Inn. I started with a compound like most, but once I picked up a longbow I was hooked. Hopefully, I will be able to give a report on succesful fishing. Thanks again.

Mike